Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jared Beekman: the Water-Hugger


My name is Jared Beekman. I am sophomore at Johns Hopkins University studying environmental engineering. My interest in my academic career has not changed much over the time that I have been at Johns Hopkins; I have always wanted to be an engineer. However, why environmental engineering? I would never have considered myself an “environmentalist”, or a “tree-hugger” (as my heavily conservative brother would like to call me), but I find myself increasingly submerged in the idea of becoming an environmental engineer. Perhaps it is because I knew I wanted to help people, and I was not going to be a doctor. And perhaps as an individual I can make a small change in this world, but as an environmental engineer, the possibilities are endless. Environmental engineering is a practical, technological, and growing field, not only evaluating the state of the environment but providing the tools to take action, to change the world on the largest scale. Yet the “largest scale” must be defined before the right tools can be used to fix anything; you have to know where the water is leaking before you can plug the hole. That is why I am taking Introduction to Public Health.

As defined in the first lecture of this course, the role of public health is “to promote health and quality of life by preventing and controlling disease, injury, and disability.” Although this definition resembles much to what medicine science entails, there are some differences. Most significantly, public health is focused on the population, whereas medicine science is concentrated towards the individual. Public health involves analyzing the environment, communities, and populations to promote increase in physical, mental, and psychological health.

My interest in public health is mostly centered on an experience I had last summer: a mission trip to Fond Parisien, Haiti. The people there were some of the most loving and spiritual people I had ever met, even though they were also the poorest people I had ever met. In fact, Haiti is among the poorest countries in the world. In the duration of my time there, I learned a lot about the struggles these people encountered every day that Americans take for granted: clean water. This struggle has given me a clear vision of what I want to do in life, and public health is where this vision can begin. By understanding the relationship between the environment and people, and evaluating what diseases exist and how they can be prevented, public health can have a great impact on my interest in improving water quality in Haiti. I want to get the basic knowledge in interpreting population data on an environmental basis from this class.

I know that this class can give me answers I need to continue my pursuit in environmental engineering; they are very similar and should be coupled to provide the best sources to my interests. The first few lectures in Intro to Public Health have proven informative and relatable to said interests, and I am looking forward to discovering more about public health, as well as recording my thoughts in this blog.     

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jared! I'm really impressed by your long term goals of becoming an environmental engineer. What an interesting area of study!It encompasses so many areas of Public Health like waste and water management, air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal, radiation protection, industrial hygiene, environmental sustainability. Everyday we see how important engineering better (and now more environmentally friendly) systems to promote health are in every country. I am really excited to see more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can get inspired by one of my favorite engineering advances in Public Health.

      Follow this Link :)
      http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000446.html

      Delete
  2. Hello Jared! You're trip to Haiti sounds amazing. I have always wanted to travel there, especially after the earthquake, so I find myself extremely jealous of your experience. I like how you have combined environmental engineering and public health. That will certainly create many interesting opportunities for you. I enjoyed your perspective and look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared, I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your passion to contribute to the betterment of others and your belief in a systems-based approach are admirable. Your experience in Haiti sounds like it made quite an impression on you - how long were you there for? It is always interesting to take yourself out of your comfort zone and into a completely new world to help realize things about yourself, which Haiti seemed to do for you. I have worked abroad several times and have had similar experiences.

    I am glad that you enjoyed the first 3 classes. As you mentioned, you definitely do need to know where the water is leaking in order to plug the hole, and hopefully this class will get you started on how you can determine where those leaks are and what types of plugs are needed. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete